Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Sunday

. . . was awesome!

Best line of the night:

Nivek: I could never cut down a tree just so I could put it up in my house! That's so bad for the earth.

Dad: Yeah, I've decided to stop breathing to reduce my carbon footprint.

Sorry Niv but that was dang funny.

I was up with the dawn to let Yspyg out. Even though I was dead-dog tired, I decided to figure out what vegetable I was going to bring to Thanksgiving dinner. I had tentatively proposed bringing green beans at Nnerb's birthday dinner and that seemed relatively well received, so I drove to the market and picked up a couple of pounds of green beans, some chopped almonds, and some mushrooms.

Once I got back home, I started chopping the beans and mushrooms. I boiled the beans for a couple of minutes, then packed everything up to take to Mom and Dad's. I had a red pepper and a yellow pepper in the fridge so I chopped those up too and packed them. Then Yspyg and I went for a stroll, I showered and packed up my car, and we headed up to Boyds, with plans for T-Bone to join us a little bit later.

We pulled up the driveway and I opened the door for Yspyg. She leapt out and immediately started tearing around the yard with a huge tongue-lolling "happy dog" smile. Semaj was fixing his car so we waved and strolled into the house.

Telmah and Anyhc gave us their usual cheerful greeting. It looked like I was the first child not-in-residence to arrive, so I hung with the folks and finished up the veggies so I would be out of Dad's way while he dealt with the turkey.

Luapellek and Niverb arrived and happy chaos ensued. We had a great time joking and catching up. The guys went out to help Semaj rotate his tires. Eventually T-Bone was released from the jaws of oppression and was able to leave work to join us.

We sat down to eat. Everybody's dishes were soooo tasty! Mom kept sneaking turkey to my dogchild, who T-Bone informs me is getting fat. Lots of general hilarity around the dinner table as well.

After dinner, Nnerb opened her birthday presents. She got some pretty cool stuff! While she was opening her gifts, Dad wooed my quivering mutt, which was my favorite part of the evening. Am I weird?

After all the excitement, I got slammed with a turkey coma. I wilted into the couch while everyone else watched some football. Once I woke up, I had to get home so I hugged and kissed and took the little food packets that Mom had so thoughtfully prepared for us, grabbed my pooch, and headed off into the darkness.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I still stand by what I said. Cutting down a tree is a rediculous way to 'celebrate a holiday' Dad's witty comments aside. Damn witty comments..