Thursday, May 17, 2007

Tails of Hope Family Sanctuary

So I had a totally inspired idea while I was going for a walk today - a shelter for survivors of domestic violence and their pets. A lot of domestic violence survivors stay in abusive relationships because they fear what would happen to their pets if they left. Animal abuse can be a gateway behavior to beating up your women and children and a man will often threated his partner's pet with beatings and torture in order to control the woman.

But . . . when a woman finally gets ready to leave, she can't take her pet with her. Several animal control agencies offer foster care services, where the animal goes to live in someone else's home while the woman rebuilds her life in the shelter, but I think we should take it one step further - a shelter where families can stay intact, women, children AND furry friends.

My eyes are already crossing thinking about the legality of it - on-site nurse AND veterinarian?! But I think it would be totally fulfilling and awesome. And Luap and Nivek, you'll always have a job with me! Luap can finally teach Hip-Hop 101 to help the kids express themselves and Nivek can be our on-site nurse. Rad!

Anyway, so these are the ideas that rattle around in my head when I'm out on my walk.

Here's a good article on domestic abuse and pets.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has great resources for anyone who wants to start a shelter.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

If that ever happens I will be there!