Friday, October 19, 2007

Drive-By

The weekend approaches. Dinner with my mom on Saturday, Agent Ya-Ya's birthday on Sunday. Good stuff.

Last week the mancub came over. He had a really bad cold, poor little guy. He couldn't sleep Friday or Saturday night because he was coughing so much. Seemed to be feeling better by Monday, though. I caught the cold and have been a little sniffly and coughy, but really nowhere near as sick as I thought I was going to be on Monday. That's when I started getting the aches and slightly sore throat that usually mean a full-blown cold is coming on, but for whatever reason, it hasn't materialized. I am going to chalk it up to chiropractic because that is the only thing I am doing differently, at least the only thing that is good for me. :-)

Dr. K is going to Atlanta next week so I will have the office to myself on Thursday and Friday! Yowsa!

Please send out more positive energy as the hiring manager who will be reviewing T-Bone's resume will be returning from Cameroon tomorrow. All fingers, toes, intestines are crossed!

Yesterday I got off of work around 12:30 and the little dog and I went and sat on a grassy hillock in front of my apartment and just hung out. She's still on restricted movement so we couldn't go for a walk, but she's a young dog and she gets bored being cooped up in the house all day. She sniffed the air and watched the birds and tried to kill a squirrel or two. Bad dog.

While I was sitting there, a car passing on Connectinut screeched to a halt. A dark black man was waving inside. At first I thought he was waving to someone on the sidewalk but when I looked, I saw that there was no one. Then I realized that he was waving at me.

I thought maybe he was some friend of T-Bone's that I met at a party once three years ago and had no recollection of, but he remembered me because I'm so white. Happens a lot. So I strolled down to the sidewalk and peered into the car.

"Do you live around here?" the guy asked. Oh, so maybe he needs directions, I thought.

"Mm-hmm," I answered.

"Oh," he continued, "because I live across here," indicating the apartment complex on the other side of the street, "and I saw you and I thought, 'I've never seen this person here before.'" He flashed a hopeful grin.

I have to admit, I had an uncharitable response to this clumsy line. Part of me was like, (sigh) LOSER! and part of me thought, Why would you have seen me around here before? There are only, oh, a thousand people wandering around this neighborhood. Leave me alone and let me enjoy the day.

But instead I asked him where he was from. When he said, "Sierra Leone," I said, "Oh, my husband's from Cameroon! Okay, have a nice day!" I turned around and walked away. I thought later that that might have been rude but it didn't occur to me at the time. In my mind I was just done with him.

He sat there for a moment before driving away. Weird, right?

2 comments:

Luap Otisopse said...

Haha! Damn Nagem, you're stopping traffic you heartbreaker!! Your response didn't sound rude to me, maybe a "you had to be there" scenario? Is Gypsy getting around in better yet?

Well Wisher said...

She's getting around great! It's keeping her still that's the problem.

I keep telling her that she is supposed to be on bedrest but she is mightily unimpressed by this and insists on zooming around the neighborhood in hot pursuit of any shiftless loitering squirrels or grasshoppers.

It was good to talk to you last night. "I love you, Uncle Luap!"