Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Doggie In the Window

It is so nice to have another creature in the house. It just adds a new dynamic to have a non-human there - one more settled and peaceful, like watching a babbling brook or a roaring fire.

On Sunday we spent half an hour watching her disembowel her stuffed bear. She kept picking at the stitches until finally she opened up a tiny hole, then she burrowed her little nose in and kept working and nibbling until finally she could poke her whole snout in. She shook her head violently and began pulling stuffing out with a great deal of wild victorious head thrashing.

On Monday night, she discovered her reflection in the glass doors of our entertainment center. I glanced over and saw her sitting perfectly erect with her ears perked on top of her head. She was sitting very very still and staring intently into the glass. When I looked, I saw that she was focused on her reflection. Ten minutes passed and she didn't move a whisker. Finally, she stretched her head out to investigate. When the reflection did the same, she scooted back, alarmed. After a few more minutes, she gave her little warning growl. Her head bobbed up and down curiously and she tried another little growl. No success. The other head kept bobbing too.

Finally she hopped up and crept around behind the entertainment center, trying to find where the mystery dog was hiding. Nothing was there! So she crept around to the other side, only to discover that the other dog had disappeared. After another fifteen minutes of her sniffing and poking and puzzling over the mystery dog in the glass, I plunked down on the floor with her. I tried to show her that there was no other dog. I tapped on the glass, I opened the doors, I took out the DVDs and CDs that we keep down there. But I don't think she was convinced. She started chewing her rope but every once in awhile she'd cast another intent look in the entertainment center's direction.

Yesterday I took her to the vet for her last round of heartworm injections. I brought her little stuffed squirrel so that she could have something from home. When they led her away, she hung her head and looked back at me as if she knew she would never see me again. It was SO tragic! I almost cried. But I stayed strong.

So she's getting treated today and then tomorrow I'll go pick her up. I can't wait!

No comments: