Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Hunt for Living Quarters

Yesterday after work I went out to look at apartments. T-Bone and I are thinking about moving and he wanted me to check out Grove Park in Gaithersburg. I had read about them on ApartmentRatings.com, where only 4% of respondents had recommended them, so I was a little apprehensive. I know that for the most part people who respond on that kind of website only do it when they have something to complain about but I expect at least a 30% or 33% recommendation rate. Needless to say, I was little wary.

First I checked out Saybrooke Apartments, also in Gaithersburg. T-Bone had visited them before and really liked them but our move-in dates didn't gel with their availability. When I drove in, I was pretty impressed by the clubhouse and grounds. Saw several neighbors walking dogs - definitely a good sign. The sample apartment seemed nice. A little less living space than we currently have - no breakfast nook, which is too bad because we have an office set up in ours and I love it. But the master bedroom was spacious and the second bedroom was nice too. I liked it. I liked it a lot.

Then I headed over to Grove Park. Terrible! It was so institutional-looking, with dirty brick walls and smoky windows. One of the complexes looked like the front had caved in and they had scaffolding set up like they were trying to repair it. Grove Park is one of those endless complexes that looks like a warren for drug lords and thieves to run free. Several young shirtless men stood in little pods all throughout the complex, just staring at each other and occasionally spitting. Nasty! The apartments are about $100 cheaper but I think I'd rather spring for the extra $100 than live there.

After I drove through the complex - no, I didn't even bother getting out to talk to the management - I decided that since I was already pretty close, I would swing by Mom and Dad's to see the dogs and say hi to whoever was home. Telmah and Anyhc greeted me enthusiastically and then we all ran upstairs to check in with Mom. Mom and I decided to go out to Mi Rancho for dinner and margaritas. Yum!

We had the terrible waiter, who I started calling The Dud. He got our orders wrong several times but at least we had 'ritas! We talked and laughed and had a great time. She even ordered a carry-out meal for T-Bone, which he fell upon ravenously once I finally got home. T and I watched TV for a little while and I actually got to bed around 11pm - second night in a row that I got my requisite 7+ hours of sleep!

T-Bone left this morning to go pick up Tabong and his family from LaGuardia in New York. He gave me a quick smooch and headed out the door while I hauled myself out of bed. I weighed myself this morning, which I had been avoiding for the last few months. Terrifying! I have GOT to lose weight NOW! Yikes! So I packed up a bunch of veggies and hummus and some homemade bread so I can make a veggie and hummus sandwich for lunch. And now here I am, boring you with the details of my last twenty-four hours. :-)

8 comments:

Kevin said...

T-Bong and T-Bone lovin' it! Veggie and hummus sounds awesome. Nnerb and I have had several experiences with apartments that were... substandard. Sometimes you can just tell a place is going to be terrible. If people are loitering all day doing nothing but being shirtless, usually that equates to a no for me as well :) Hope you have better luck with the apt hunt.

Luap Otisopse said...

Come on Crittergal... there's nothing boring about that!! Excellent read as always. I like hearing what you're up to. How long is Tabong here for?! Do we get to see him?! I'm definetly shaky on G-Burg living. Do you not want to stay at your place anymore? What are the motivations to leave and requirements for a new place?

Well Wisher said...

Our rent was just raised from $940 to $1150 for a crappy one bedroom apartment in a shady neighborhood. Plus, we are not even on the lease - one of T-Bone's friends is subletting - so we can't take advantage of any of the community features or own a pet and if the management ever finds out, we get kicked out. I suspect T-Bone also wants to punish them for jacking the rent up 20% or so.

Luap Otisopse said...

WOW! 20% is horrible. Yeesh. We started in that same fine neighborhood paying $815, and by the time we left it was up to $1150 - for a shitty one bedroom in Aspen Hill. What are the managers and owners thinking up there?! It's so hard to find anything decent in MOCO for less than $1100 nowadays. Not feeling the town house and single family home market? Do you prefer G-Burg over Silver SPring, Wheaton, Kensington, Rockville, +/or Germantown?

Luap Otisopse said...

And what about my Tabong questions? :)

Well Wisher said...

Bong-Bong is here until September, I think, but stay posted as this is subject to change!

I am sure that T would love for everyone to see Lil T and I KNOW I would! We can definitely arrange that.

Luap Otisopse said...

Yeah! Would he like going to the movies? Ratatouille?

Well Wisher said...

I don't know. He used to LOVE TV and movies and stuff but I doubt he has seen very many in the past year. If he's anything like his daddy, he'd rather be dancing!

But I'm pretty sure he still loves movies. Great thought! We'll give his some time to get settled in and then try to find a time to get together.