Friday, July 6, 2007

My Health Care Plan

I cannot immediately change health care policy in this country but I can make an effort to improve my own health. With that in mind, I have been thinking about implementing the following strategies to improve my health:

1. No high fructose corn syrup.

2. No hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.

3. Considering that most of the meat in my diet is consumed at lunchtime, I would eat an all-vegetarian lunch.

4. Five servings of vegetables a day.

5. At least seven hours of sleep a day.

6. A vigorous walk at least three times a week.

What do you think? Sustainable? Too hard? The first two seem really hard to me but both high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils are so bad for you that I really should cut them out. Number 4 and Number 6 should be easy but getting to bed has always been a challenge for me even when I know I will pay for it the next day. I would also like to sign up for a class in some physical activity that I find interesting: figure skating, tai chi, ballroom dancing or the like. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Tai Chi rocks. I haven't actually done it myself but I know a lot of people who have. I would actually consider it myself. I love the new diet plan.

Kevin said...

And bed is tough, especially when you feel like you deserve to stay up and do things you want to do since you spent your whole day doing things you haven't wanted to do. I just force myself no adays. I think we are all sleep deprived.

Luap Otisopse said...

That all sounds great to me sis! Of course, what do I know about healthy:) I need to read up on those hydrogenized oils. I think any efforts towards better health are good ones. I always get warned to do "baby steps" and not try to build Rome in a day. You want to make healthy life changes, not go on a diet.

Kevin said...

This is true Luap, about not building Rome in a day. And you know a lot more about healthy than you think :)